CEDIA – the Confederation of European Agronomist Associations – is the umbrella body, which represents professional agronomists associations in Europe.
It was founded on 23 June 1987, following an initiative by national agronomists attached to the European Institutions in Brussels
On 13th October 1996 CEDIA became an official non-profit organization.
CEDIA – Operational organisation (see statutes also):
The General Assembly, which is held annually, is composed of representatives of each member association.
The General Assembly decides on CEDIA policy, strategy, and budget, and elects the members of the board and the president.
The Board consists of a president, 2 vice presidents, a treasurer and other members; each country has a representative on the board.
The Board executes the working programme and daily activities, assisted by the general secretary. It creates working groups for specific tasks and maintains and develops contacts with all relevant external bodies and persons.
CEDIA’s aims and objectives:
Cedia is primarily interested in the ensuring that mankind has an adequate supply of wholesome and safe food and agri related products through the application of efficient, safe and sustainable methods. This is achieved by:
- ensuring the optimum professional input to the sector through the continuous development and application of agricultural sciences and engineering and
- ensuring the optimum economic environment for the Agricultural sector through promoting the most appropriate agriculture and food policies.
Particular aims are to promote:
- Interests of its members – university graduates and graduates of specialised schools (e.g. France) in agronomy and in related sciences and engineering.
- Networking and exchange of information in the broadest sense among its members, member associations, and other relevant interests.
- Advancement of university, and post-university education, research and training, and the continuous professional development of its members.
- Cooperation in promoting and developing job and career opportunities for its members.
- Continued European integration through expanded and increased membership, and collaboration between its members and member associations.
- Increased collaboration between Agronomists and agronomist association’s world wide.
- The sustainable production of safe and wholesome food, the protection and conservation of the environment, and world food security.
- Awareness at European and World level of member and member organizations’ contribution, roles and functions, in today’s society
CEDIA: Main activities:
- Lobbying and liaison with EU, Governments and Industry, thereby supporting for example:
- The Professional interests of members,
- The Promotion of the role, the expertise, opinion and viewpoint of professional Agricultural Scientists and Engineers in government and civil society,
- The advancement of economic, technical, social development and status of agriculture and related sectors in the economy.
- Liaison with universities and other educational institutes to ensure that the quality and scope of agricultural science and agricultural engineering, training and education, meets the ongoing requirements of the profession and the sectors serviced.
- The continuous professional development of members is facilitated and promoted.
- Further development and greater integration of member association’s career/job services programmes
- Exchange on information on employment and career opportunities in European countries and elsewhere
- Organisation of conferences and seminars on topics of interest to the members and the profession
- Provision of networking/educational/job experience opportunities for young graduates and for established agronomists
- Creation of awareness on ethical issues.
- Transnational cooperation re Community programs